Passive Candidates: how to identify them and talk to them?
Candidatos Pasivos: ¿cómo identificarlos y hablar con ellos?

Passive Candidates: how to identify them and talk to them?

In many sectors of the labor market, the talent race is intensifying and increasingly growing for recruiters to broaden their field of inquiry to passive candidates. These represent a considerable talent pool and, therefore, their consideration could turn recruitment processes in depth. However, to effectively integrate this type of profile into your research, you must be able to identify them accurately!

Who are passive candidates?

Passive candidates are career professionals who are not looking for new opportunities, but might still be convinced if an interesting offer was made.

In 2015, the talent trends study conducted by LinkedIn with 20,000 actives in 29 countries considered them to be 70% of the workforce, the remaining 30% are either active or refused to consider change.

Importance to the employer

These candidates may be particularly interesting for two main reasons:

  • They are not an active search and may be loyal to a recruiter and project over time.
  • These candidates are not looking for career opportunities, they get your CV and your attention is not as easy for other candidates. Therefore, it is a matter of implementing specific sourcing techniques.
  • Recruitment professionals looking for passive candidates, therefore, many platforms to fill their databases: business sites and professional associations, blogs and forums, special CVTHICS, professional social networks, etc..

Once integrated into their base of potential candidates, these profiles are ranked according to many criteria to assess whether or not they are “listening or not to the market”, according to the time-honored formula. If the person seems not to have experienced significantly for a long time or if his current position does not seem to be at the height of his qualifications, he will therefore be considered a passive candidate with high potential.

The first contact, a key moment

Whether an effective need will really be felt or not, it may be advisable to establish a first contact with an interesting passive candidate to learn more about his or her profile and desires.

This first contact often takes the form of a message through a professional social network or an email in which the recruiter offers a telephone interview. To get a positive response, it is a matter of quoting the form of the message showing that we are aware that the candidate is not actively seeking. Then, the recruiter explicitly explains that their exchange will remain confidential only involves him and quickly presented the type of opportunities available.

Cooptation: a technique in full development.

These techniques of identification, sourcing and contact with passive candidates require specific knowledge and consequent human and material investments. To limit this type of investment, it is increasingly common to set up co-optation mechanisms that encourage a company’s employees to become ambassadors with their network. These incentive devices make it possible to leverage employees’ professional networks for more efficient identification and more relevant communication for passive candidates.

Enter our Employment section on: